Friday, April 30, 2010

how fascinating can a gaijin be?

People here are so funny. I guess it isn't rude to openly stare in this country because I get that a lot. The girls are all so entertaining though. Everyday I am approached by a new group of girls wanting to know all about me. Today as I was walking down the hall a girl I have never seen before ran to catch up with me then handed me a little Japanese candy saying "a present for you". It was so cute! I actually held a pretty decent conversation with another group of girls. I didn't stumble over my words and we were able to communicate without any hitches. I was quite proud of myself. I also showed my pictures of Utah to the International Exchange club. They were very impressed and kept saying that they want to go there.


On a completely different note, here is a handy tip for the Japanese students back home:
Some of my most commonly used words are these. Chigau and Onaji (different and same) I have found these words to be the easiest way to explain why I do or do not know how to do something. "Amerika wa chigau" (America is different) is my favorite phrase. and "Amerika/watashi no gakkou wa onaji" (america/my school is the same) is a phrase that saves alot of useless instruction for whomever you may be talking to. So there ya go, Vocab lesson of the day!

6 comments:

  1. What pictures did you show the club? Are they on your facebook? It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas again here. Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took picture of Christmas snow for you today. April 30th. And it's freezing and I'm wearing thermals. :-) Go look at my blog and you'll see the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sound like your having a blast and im so happy for you and remember your the hottest thing there so flaunt it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. syd: i showed them the pictures from Salt lake city and i showed them pictures of my school and pictures of our house as well as my horse. and i think of those, only the salt lake ones are on facebook

    and yeah, i heard about the snow. I don't envy you guys. it is beautiful and sunny here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah - I am so much enjoying your blog, especially the pictures. Your explanations and observations are very well written. I was excited when I read your blog from yesterday. There was a Japanese word I understood - okonomiyaki - Shizuka made it for me once - I loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah. it is way good! in fact, everything here is way good! lol

    ReplyDelete