Friday, June 18, 2010

Behind the Scenes: What It Took To Get Where I Am

People always ask me how I planned my trip to Japan. Some of them are merely curious and some ask because they would like to do something similar. I personally believe this has been a life-changing experience for me and one that I think everyone should be able to enjoy so I am going to share with you all my not-so-secret secrets!

I spent almost a year preparing for my application to the "ideal" exchange program. I wished and hoped and wished again that it would work out for everything I had was dependent on getting accepted by this program. Needless to say, when I got rejected I didn't really know what to do. I didn't want to deal with the hassle (or the expenses) of applying for another program so it seemed the only other option I had was to make my own!

First I had to figure out more or less how this trip would lay out. I ideally wanted to go for 6 months because it is said that that is how long it takes to be fluent however, with my trip rushing in on me I realized that I did not want to deal with the hassle of getting a student visa. I can be here 3 months on a tourist visa (aka just a passport) and I realized this would just have to do. I asked around to find out what a reasonable sum to pay my host family for boarding me would be, I applied for a passport (of course), and I calculated approximately what all the expenses would be.

Next, I needed to find a host family. Thankfully I happened to have contacts in Japan through my Japanese aunt, my Japanese teacher, and my church (the LDS church). I am not exactly sure how the host families were found except that my aunt somehow contacted a church leader and the church leader found 2 families who would be willing to accept me. My Japanese teacher found one more willing family through a friend of hers who happens to live in Osaka. I decided to stay with one family from my aunt for 1 month and the family from my teacher for 2. With the first big hurdles done I was on a roll!

Lastly I needed to find something to fill my time while in Japan. I knew I wanted to go to school but I if that had not worked out I would have found a different sort of volunteer opportunity to make this trip really worthwhile! I asked my host families what the closest high schools were and it turned out that my host sister from my first family went to a school that loves exchange students. I wrote a formal letter to this school requesting that they allow me to be a visitor at their school. I offered to volunteer in the English classes if I couldn't be a student and basically assured them that I would respect their rules and be a great addition to their school. I had this letter translated into Japanese by my aunt and sent it off to the school. My second host family did basically the same thing for my second school. They went through about the same process.
For those of you wondering what the school's wanted of me this is what I provided for them:
-2 recommendation letters (one from principal, one from Japanese teacher)
-proof of health insurance that would cover me in Japan
-a few photos of myself (for the first school)
-and other various paperwork that will vary from school to school.

These 3 steps seem like very little but there are many little minute details that had to be planned in there as well but since every trip is different these details will vary. Basically the thing that made this trip possible was having contacts in Japan. Family, friends, church, teachers, etc, all of these are great resources for planning a trip to another country. The only thing you have to keep in mind with something like this is that there is always a way. Some plans may fall through, others won't work out quite like you wanted and all you can do is keep yourself open to many options and you can accomplish anything! To all those who are going to embark on a journey like mine I say "good for you! good luck! and you will never regret it!"

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. i also have a japanese aunt and some distant relitives threw her. as well as my japanese teachers family. i think im gonna try to just go over there. maybe offer to help out in some english classes and such as well. do you happen to know of anyone who could also help me find a willing host family? my aunt hasnt been to japan in 10 years so it'd be a little harder threw her

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way did i mention you are awesome? cause you are ^^ (as you can see im realy looking forward to studying abroad especially in japan so yeah!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Sarah, you are awesome. We are so very proud of you. And for those of you who think maybe Sarah is a spoiled kid whose parents stepped in with money and support you are wrong. She paid for every dime of this trip and made all her arrangements herself. I have been very proud to watch her growth and self-discipline. To all of you kids who have aspirations to travel - YOU CAN DO IT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Paige,
    I am glad this post helped you and I know that if you put your mind to it you can go to Japan too!
    Since your aunt is Japanese and you have a Japanese teacher who probably has contacts there I would start there. Ask them if they have any friends who they trust to ask around for a good family. You don't want to go just anywhere because that would be dangerous so make sure they know someone they can trust who will in turn find someone that they can trust who you can stay with. You could even consider emailing any contacts you have at OGSHS from your application process (like Mr. Alexy or something) and see if they would be willing to help you out at all. I also used my church connections a LOT if you have something like that for you that might help out as well.

    I know you can make your dreams come true (I have)! if you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I really liked the last part. You learned a life-time of experiences that some will never learn. Plan your pants off, but be flexible enough to roll with the punches. Thus is the formula for success. You will always find it Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. Well, so far my trying to find a host family has not been going very well at all. My teacher just had a baby so she's a little busy at the moment and its hard to get ahold of her. Also, i havent been able to contact my aunt at all. So im not exactly what else to do. This is all very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't give up Paige! You can do this, just keep trying. Sarah hit all kinds of problems and roadblocks, but persistence pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah i know. I'm one determind child though. i started working in 6th grade for this and several other trips im taking. So ill find a way to pull threw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can do it Paige!!!!! determination will win in the end!!
    keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah. Hmm i think the hardest part of going will be leaving behind my beautiful cats. haha oh well. Well, time to continue my search. Hopefully i'll figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really addmire your ability to push past obsticals and find a way to japan on your own. i suppose no matter what i thought, i dont really have that strength. my efforts in finding a host faily have been fruitless, and im starting to fear ill never find a way. its all really stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can do it! don't ever lose hope! If making your own program isn't happening then look into some different exchange programs. there are TONS out there! and if you don't want to do that there are billions of teaching opportunities for a "genki" foreigner in asian countries. once you are 18 millions more opportunities will open up to you!
    don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah. i just dont have any strong connections to japan atm. my friends who lived there no longer do, and i have had no luck in contacting my aunt who is from okinawa. im goign to continue attepting to get ahold of her however. hopefully things will work...

    ReplyDelete