Saturday, June 12, 2010

No Cheapskates Allowed

I am going to take this opportunity to fill you all in on what I have been doing lately while at the same time comparing Japan and America as everyone expects me to do.

I become increasingly busier everyday at least 3 times a week I head off together with friends to a different destination. I've Osaka Castle for the first time, enjoyed the more karaoke (that never gets old), and gone shopping two days in a row! Almost everyday now is filled with a new adventure. This coming week I am looking forward to Universal Studios Japan, more karaoke, and probably a lot more. Each time I go out with friends I make it a priority to get purikura to remember the day by and so far I have done just that, my purikura collection is becoming quite vast.

However, the interesting thing is this: in America everyone is familiar with the phrase "just hanging out" which simply entails being together with friends. If you happen to have money you go see a movie, if no one has money then you just "chill" somewhere and do very little. Here, there is no such thing as "just chillin" when you want to hang out, you better have money because you will need it. I have not gone out once without spending at least 1000 yen (about $10). Because of this, play-dates are usually great fun and you don't often have to worry about long awkward silences or bored friends. You do, however, have to worry about going completely bankrupt.







4 comments:

  1. IM SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! next time you go some were i will buy you an over sized suit case to fit me in!! it looks like a ton of fun sarah and i cant believe that you have been gone for only a couple of months it feels like its been forever!! see you when you get back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. My name is Paige, and I too applied to attend OGSHS.
    However they lost my application and by the time they found it again it was past the deadline. They still agreed to consider me since it was at thier fault. I recently took my phone test, but they never notified me of the results and I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone. So I'm looking for an aulternative rout. I wanted to know how you went about going to Japan despite not being accepted by them. Did you go with another program, or did you find a host family on your own and such. I'd love to know how you did this and get some advice from you on how I could accomplish the same.

    Also, your blog is enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey paige!!
    I would be happy to help you in any way I can! coming to Japan has been an amazing opportunity and one I think everyone should get! However that is a long explanation to put in the comments box so I will write a new blog post for you and anyone else that wants to know! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! you are so amazing! they turned me down cause they said since tere were others before me eligible, and they no longer had room for me so im a little sore at them but whatever.
    but i like traveling and would go just about anywhere, im also considering Greece, England, and Itally as my next top 3. Any advice you could give would be like soo helpful

    ReplyDelete