Thursday, June 24, 2010

My apologies


Hello my avid readers...or well, people obligated to read this blog because you are family or friends...
I am sorry that my blog posts have not exactly been very regular. I guess I suffered from a major case of writers block but I promise that I will right this wrong. You will get exactly 29 more posts for that is how many days I have before I return to the states.

Anyway, today I got the opportunity to attend the Brass Band club. Clubs in Japan are a big thing since they don't really have any fun classes the only fun thing about school is the after school activities. At my last school, as well as the first month of this school I was really indecisive about a club. There were so many to choose from I just couldn't decide. My exhaustion after an approximately 8 hour school day didn't help matters at all.
However, today was so fun!! Everyone practices individually or with friends for the first half of club activities. I peeked into one room with a bunch of 3rd years "practicing" (aka, talking and taking pictures of each other with their cell phones) and the next thing I knew I was surrounded by these same 3rd years then practically dragged into the practice room amidst a flurry of excited Japanese chatter and then posed for pictures from multiple cameras. Nothing makes you feel like a movie star like a group of Japanese school girls.
We spent the next hour or so just talking. They exclaimed in surprise at my "wonderful Japanese" and then proceeded to interrogate me about my likes, dislikes, things I want to do, and the usual do I "have a boyfriend". I attempted to learn their names (and almost succeeded, not quite) and we all got along quite well.
We laughed at each other as we each tried to pronounce different words in English and Japanese. The video I attached is my new friend Maria's version of "cereal".

Only the last 20 minutes were spent playing our instruments with the group and that was just as fun as talking had been. I do rather miss Band class. Maybe I have found the club I want to join!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, that's wonderful! Now you can play your flute! :-) I know that's always a destresser. :-) Now to be perfectly fair you should post a video of you trying to say a hard word your Japanese friend is teaching you. :-)

    ReplyDelete