Thursday, May 6, 2010

Girl's Camp









I'm sorry these posts are out of order. I just decided to write another post to make up for the multiple days on which I did not post anything.

Girl's Camp in Japan was very different from America but super fun! The leader of my group, Naomi, speaks English so she acted as my translator the whole time which gave me a well needed break from the constant headaches and lack of understanding which I have gotten used to. It was very refreshing.

Everyday (except for one of the dinners)each group of young women would make their own meals. In fact, Dinner on our first day there was a cooking contest (we won 2nd place!) It was really interesting to make Japanese meals over a fire. Because I can't cook worth crap I immediately volunteered to make the fire. I have had lots of practice building fires so I quickly had one burning but it seems you don't build fires often in Japan because no one else had it so easy. I ended up helping all the groups build their fires as well. It was nice to know something no one else did for once. :P I have gotten so used to being the stupid one.

Our hike the on the 2nd day was killer! The mountain is VERY steep so going up was difficult progress but the countryside is absolutely gorgeous! The colors are so vibrant here and there is just so much green!

Overall Girl's Camp was a very refreshing thing. All my stress from the first week in a foreign country was alleviated and I am now ready to start again!

a summary of the pictures:
first is Naomi
second is me and my group "Sasami-sama" (which is the first sound of all our names spelled into a word. Sasami meaning: chicken meat)
third is everyone from the Takatsuki ward (this was a stake camp)
and all the rest are various pictures I took on the hike

6 comments:

  1. Sarah these are beautiful pictures! And aren't you glad for all the times we have built fires in the back yard so that you could be the fire expert? :-) I'm so glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah yeah. and i'm glad of backpacking with sydney to get practice doing it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely absolutely on your own. With no help from the boy scout. If we go camping while you're gone we will be eating cold food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounded like a lot of fun sarah i cant believe its only been a few weeks it feels like a month at least

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. It is crazy huh?!

    and syd, yeah. poor boyscout....:(
    but maybe when i get back we can all go backpacking together! that would be fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAA!! i love your hair your Japanese clothes, you looks so pretty!! sophie

    ReplyDelete