Monday, May 24, 2010

Rain!

I don't usually like rain. The freezing cold rain that cuts like a knife which we get just after winter ends in Utah is not my idea of a "nice day". Once spring sets in you might get one or two 10 minute showers of perfect rain here and there but it never lasts. As soon as it's warm in Utah you can bet that there will be very little moisture till it's snowing again so I haven't really developed the greatest love for rain.

For some reason, all that changed today. Here in Japan it will start raining and continue for hours and hours on end. It could even last all day!
Before I thought of this as a hassle. I mean who likes putting on a huge bulky raincoat every time they go outside?! I certainly don't, and today I was just too lazy for any of that. As I unlocked my bike to return home from school I debated for about 3 seconds as to whether or not I wanted to go through that trouble and came to the decision that rain can't be that bad.
By the time I got home 20 minutes later, not only was I utterly soaked to the skin but I was enjoying that rain so much I didn't want to go inside. It was perfect! It wasn't cold rain. There was no freezing wind to drive the droplets straight through your clothes and chill you to the bone. Feeling the little splashes of water on my face and hands seemed to wash away all my thoughts about anything and everything and I reveled in the pure enjoyment of it!
I must have been a poor sight to all those passing me. The only one on the street without a raincoat or an umbrella smiling like a retard and riding her bike as slowly as possible, but who cares! This gaijin likes the rain and let's just say this, once rainy season comes on I think I will come home soaking wet a lot more often!

3 comments:

  1. Now you know why I like rainstorms! Not because rain is delightful in utah, but because I remember warm summer rains in Michigan. I LOVE rain! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate you so bad right now. It snowed this morning here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah that really sucks :P i hate snow.

    ReplyDelete